Psaltikon

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Ναταλία
      Participant

In the “History of the Typikon part 1” You mentioned the use of the Psaltikon in the pre-studite practice of the hagia sophia rite. Though the Psaltikon has fallen out of practice it would be a really fun thing to have for personal use and study. Do you know where I could purchase one in Byzantine notation in Greek?

Peter George
        Keymaster

Hi Natalia,

Unfortunately, the Psaltikon isn’t available this way, since its melodies are medieval and most haven’t been transcribed into the new method. However, famous musicologist Dr. Ioannis Arvanitis has transcribed some of the Psaltikon’s chants into modern byzantine notation, which he has posted on the internet forum called “Psaltologion.” I can see if I can find some scores and post them here.

In the meantime, here is a recording of one such piece, chanted by Protopsaltis Dimos Papatzalakis. It is the Kontakion of the Ascension. You’ll notice that, although today’s byzantine music is a direct successor of the byzantine music in Byzantium, the melody is quite different than anything we would chant in church today: Kontakion of the Ascension

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.