General questions

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Alexandra Zampino
      Participant

Hi Peter,
        I have the two-volume HTM Horologion. I was curious as to how the hymns in the menologion section of volume 2 fit into the services. For instance, let’s say there is a kontakion and another hymn for the commemorations of the day. Would someone ever reference this menologion section for putting together the services, or is this usually used for daily devotional use at home?

Helen
        Participant

Peter,
          I know that you said that there’s a link somewhere for access to the Menaion but I can’t seem to find it. Can you please refresh my memory on this? I’ve looked & can’t seem to locate it.

Peter George
            Keymaster

Look in Lesson 0. Document Hub has everything you need for the assignments. If you want an online copy of the Menaion, look under “Church Books” and there are a few options for you to look at.

Peter George
            Keymaster

The Menologion section of the Horologion provides the Dismissal Hymns and Kontakia of each day. While these can be found in the Menaion, they would be located in different places. Having them together in the Horologion makes it convenient for the Divine Liturgy, where they would be chanted together, and for the Hours, where they are read in close succession to each other.

Alexandra Zampino
                Participant

This is very helpful; thank you for your response! (My apologies for the late reply.)

Sarah Helena
                Participant

Am I correct in remembering something about the following in Orthros:

If there is a dismissal hymn for a celebrated Saint (rather than repeating the Resurrectional Apolytikion), and therefore the Theotokion is in the mode of the Saint’s hymn rather than the mode of the week, the GOA puts the 1st Theotokion of the mode of the week somewhere else instead? I think it replaces the Theotokion at the 1st Poetic Kathisma?

Any guidance or correction on that would be appreciated!

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.