General Questions

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jamie Tarasidis
      Participant

Peter, I have a couple of general questions:
        1. The link to the Forum on the “Syllabus and Class Forum” page still leads to a forum from a previous session. And if you go to that forum and click on Forums at the top to try to navigate to the correct one, it’s not in the list. So unless I’m missing something, the only way I can get into the correct forum right now is to click on one of the emails I got about “Let’s Introduce Ourselves” at the beginning.
        2. Are you willing to share PDFs of your presentation files from your videos?

Peter George
        Keymaster

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for this note. I thought I had fixed it, but I think I forgot to hit ‘update’. They both should be fixed now. Please let me know if that’s not the case!

My presentations are made on PowerPoint and I’d be happy to share. I will put them in DropBox and share.

Jamie Tarasidis
          Participant

It’s fixed! And thanks for the PowerPoints!

Jamie Tarasidis
            Participant

Peter, when DCS has an alternate commemoration like St. Sophia yesterday, why is that happening? I have always assumed that it’s because it’s a Saint or event that is celebrated more in some places than others, or is a more modern commemoration like St. Nektarios. How does this come about, and how do we find Menaion material for more modern saints when that comes up?

Peter George
                Keymaster

Hi Jamie,

There are many saints who have very basic or no services in the Menaion. In cases like this, when the saints are worshipped popularly but have no service, people will write services to them. Some of the most famous hymnographers of the last centuries, including St. Nikodemos the Hagiorite and St. Gerasimos the New (canonized just this past year) have contributed thousands of such services into the life of the Church. In Greek, the term we use for these services are “phyllades” (translated as “packets”).

Many of these can be found in Greek on the internet. Unfortunately, most of these have not yet been translated into English, although Fr. Seraphim has translated a few and has put them on the DCS. Hopefully, as the years go on, we will see more of these in the English language.

Jamie Tarasidis
                Participant

I have the August Menaion at my house right now because I’m still organizing all the materials from TLAA. So I looked in the back and saw material for St. Cosmas Aitolos and St. Phanourios. Are they in the back because they are later additions?

Jamie Tarasidis
                  Participant

Another question: how do we see feedback on our homework? According to our schedule, we should see feedback on our Week 2 homework by now, but how do we get that feedback?

Helen
                    Participant

Hi Peter,
                      My name is Helen Jonas & I don’t see the new schedule for Jan. up. Can you please make the adjustment & let me know what’s expected? Thanks!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.