Week 2 Q & A

Trisagion School Forums ByzB 103: T1 2021 Week 2 Q & A

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

I actually have a question for you! The plan was to study the 1st Mode Lord I Have Cried and Let My Prayer Be Set Forth in Week 3, but I’m wondering if that will be too much. What do you think? I’ve been thinking it could be something we keep working on in Week 4 as well(and possibly beyond). How much time have you spent on it already? How does it feel? Do the rhythms still feel tricky? Or are you staring to get a better feel for them?

Diana
      Participant

I’ve already moved on from just counting to singing la la la or singing parallagi. Personally I find it easier to do that than continue with the counting for too long. The daily listening is helping get the tune in my ear, so appreciate you having given that to us at the beginning. I still have to puzzle out new rhythms though. I’ve been thinking of making my own flash cards with frequently seen rhythms in byzantine notation on one side and the western notation equivalent on the other side. I think that would help me learn to read the rhythms as short phrases rather than individual symbols. (P.S. Sorry, I haven’t figure out how to make a reply to a prior posting).

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Diana.
      Diana
      Participant

Amy, just a heads up that the recording for the Grave mode apichima on the following page is incorrect. It is a recording of the 3rd mode apichima. (na na)

Modal Theory Review: Grave Mode

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Thanks for the heads up. I thought I had already fixed it. I just “fixed” it, but the website doesn’t want to take the change. Hopefully it will later as it seems like the site might be running slow right now.

Kenneth Parker
      Participant

I am happy to go with the preference of the class, but, personally, I would not mind if we went a little slower and continue working on the two hymns into Week 4, as well.

Annalisa
      Participant

I feel similarly, I wouldn’t mind working on it into week 4, but could go faster if that’s better for the rest.

Annalisa
      Participant

The bottom part of the graphic for tempo markings appears to be missing – at least tonight.

Annalisa
      Participant

Sorry, me again. There’s a typo in Grave Mode HofA 1:1. Section titled “Grave Mode Vs. Third Mode”, second sentence says, “The differences in the two modes are *two* be found…”.

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Thanks Annalisa! I fixed the typo. I’m not seeing any issues with the graphic for tempo markings. If you’re still having a problem, please email me a screenshot so I can see what you’re seeing.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.