The Ideal Orthros: What does it look like?

Trisagion School Forums Typikon 101 (Term 3: Fall 2021) The Ideal Orthros: What does it look like?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Peter George
      Keymaster

Many of us chanters today are asked to do Orthros under a number of restraints. For example, some of us only have an hour to do the service (or less). Some of us can only use a particular translation or language. If you could chant Orthros however you wanted, what would you include that isn’t normally done? How long do you think Orthros should take? What might you do to include more people, especially if you are a solo chanter? Share your thoughts below!

In my opinion, Orthros should take about an hour and a half.

Perhaps each Sunday we would rotate one of the appointed kathismata of the Psalter to read. Reading Psalms in church is such a neat way to “ground” ourselves. It becomes so much more apparent where a lot of the text of our hymns come from. Reading all of the appropriate kathismata every Sunday, I believe, would be too drastic a change from our current practise (at least right away). It would also be a great way to involve more volunteers as readers who do not necessarily chant.

At one point, at our parish when we were still learning how to sing antiphonally, we used to repeat the Orthros antiphons. To me, this lends such a feeling of symmetry and emphasis. (I get this feeling when stichera from the menaion are repeated too– especially in the same language.)

If time permits (because I do believe keeping a regular service within *some* time limit), reading the canon would be another way to involve readers.

Chanting stichologia is another feature I’d include to emphasise Scripture.

Marissa Hondros
      Participant

In my opinion, Orthros should definitely be an hour and a half, or at least more than 1hr 15min. It tends to feel rushed a lot of the time because when the bulletin says “liturgy” at 10 most of the laity do not want to arrive just to find that liturgy has not started yet, which some will complain about.
      I feel, if chanters are actually given the time, to do the canons as lined up in the “full orthros” sheet in the orthros excel: Ode 1,Ode 3, Mid Ode Kathisma #1, Glory… [Both Now…] Mid Ode Kathisma #2, Both Now.. Mid Ode Kathisma #3 (if it exists), Ode 4, Ode 5, Ode 6.
      Everything after ode 6 can be spoken until the katavasia, since it is mentioned in lesson 7 that odes 7 and 8 are hardly done, and if they are, they are spoken, and since the kontakion, oikos, and synaxarion are already spoken, that makes more sense, in my book.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.