Q & A: General Course Questions

Trisagion School Forums ByzB 103: T1 2021 Q & A: General Course Questions

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Ask general questions about the course here.

Katie Brumley
      Participant

Question: I’m downloading music and getting my playlist together for the week. Should I be listening to the Independent Reading lesson – 3rd Mode Hymns of Ascent or not until after I read it myself?

Amy Hogg
        Keymaster

I think it’s a great idea to try reading it yourself once or twice and then listen to the recording to make sure that you’re chanting it correctly. It’s best to check if you’re doing it correctly before doing all of the repetitions because you don’t want to practice it incorrectly. The idea is that the guided reading lesson prepares you to do the independent reading lessons more independently.

John Prideaux
      Participant

Will the recordings be posted on the course Welcome page soon?

Elizabeth
      Participant

I discovered under the guided reading section of Gabriel Cremeens’ stichologia 3rd mode there is a possible mistake on page 3 on the 3rd line above the word “net”. The word, on paper, lands on Zw, but I believe it should land on Ke.

John Prideaux
      Participant

Hi Amy,

I can’t download the audio clips for the Guided Reading lesson. They all result in “about:blank#blocked”. Can you assist?

John

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Hi John,
      Thanks for letting me know. It was a rookie mistake on my part and wasn’t hard to fix. Sorry about that!
      ~Amy

John Prideaux
        Participant

Thanks, Amy! Those work now.

However … the links to the recordings on the course intro page have the same problem, except for 4th Mode LHIC parallagi. Sorry!

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Oops, I must have done those on the same day. I’m editing my posts in a new editor now and I had to put the links in differently. I fixed those too now.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Amy Hogg.
      Diana
      Participant

I’m a little unclear as to when we have the live sessions. The following webpage lists days and times, but I remember reading somewhere that more times have been added, but I don’t remember the specifics. Could you double check that this webpage is complete with all of the available sessions? https://trisagionschool.org/courses/byzb-103-byzantine-notation-basic-fluency/lessons/join-zoom-practice-session-3/

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Hi Diana,
      Yes, the times on this page are correct. We have 5-half hour sessions each week. I think when earlier there were only the evening sessions, and maybe just a half hour each night.

Bev
      Participant

Did you happen to post a link to the Google Calendar for practice sessions & I missed it? I keep forgetting they are eastern time and I’m in central. Poor planning on my part. Thank you.

Janine Shinn
      Participant

Is the link for 4th Mode LIHC correct? It looks to me like the score of 1st Mode LIHC

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Yes, it is correct. 4th Mode Sticheraric Hymns are based from Pa. If you look at the modal signature is has the stylized delta symbol associated with the 4th Mode instead of the stylized alpha symbol associated with the 1st Mode.

Annalisa
      Participant

Can you help me find an explanation of the distinctions between the Hiermologic, Sticheraric, and Papadic genres. I looked around the ByzB 102 material (I think that’s where you said to look) but I couldn’t find it there. Is it possible that you spelled that our in ByzB 101 instead?

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Hi Annalisa,
      It’s in Week 4 of 101. Hopefully this link will work.

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Hi Annalisa,
      It’s in Week 4 of 101. Hopefully this link will work.

Compositional Genres

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Amy Hogg.
      John Prideaux
      Participant

Week 4 question on A Fthora Changes the Martyries. The text refers to an example, but none is visible (on one PC, Chrome shows nothing at all, on another it shows a missing image placeholder).

Amy Hogg
        Keymaster

Thanks for the heads up John. I’ve added the image and beefed up the explanation a little bit.

Annalisa
      Participant

Another week 4 question: edited and written below.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Annalisa.
      Annalisa
      Participant

Another week 4 question: “Correction on Plagal First Heirmologic”. I don’t understand how you arrive at the functional scale pitches that are written in English. When I look at the new martyries that reflect both scales I don’t see the functional scale pitches in the symbol. Do we just need to memorize that they were the bottom symbols attached to those pitches in the functional scale?

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Annalisa,
      Yes that’s correct. The bottom symbol is that of the functional scale so you have to think about what symbol really goes with that bottom symbol. This is why we studied the Martyries pretty extensively in 102.

~Amy

Annalisa
      Participant

Hi Amy,
      Week 5 question: Do we have printable versions of complete with text Mode 2 Lord, I Have Cried and Let My Prayer? I can’t seem to find them.
      Thanks!

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Hi Annalisa,
      I added the printable versions to the rhythm lessons in Weeks 5 & 6.

~Amy

So on the 4th mode Let my prayer, it sounds if there is a overlap. Not sure if I can get correct parralge? Can you listen please. Thank you.

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Hi Teresa,
      I’m not sure what you want me to listen to as there doesn’t seem to be a recording attached. I don’t think you can attach recordings in the forum. You can email it to me if you’d like.

~Amy

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

Hi Teresa,
      I’m not sure what you want me to listen to as there doesn’t seem to be a recording attached. I don’t think you can attach recordings in the forum. You can email it to me if you’d like.

~Amy

John Prideaux
      Participant

Hi Amy,

For Week 7, Plagal 2 Hymns of Ascent, the Melos links are identical to the parallagi for the first two portions, and the link for the G/BN is the same file as the 2nd hymn.

John

Victoria
      Participant

On this week, my “Capstone Due” is blank. I’ve tried refreshing. Is that error on my side?

Bev
      Participant

I think I might be having a senior moment, but where can I find the tone one “Let My Prayer” to print? I cannot find the one I had.

Elizabeth
      Participant

Hello Amy!

I was listening to Gabriel’s 2nd mode hymn “Let My Prayer” and when we flip the page the first note is an “apostrophos” but he sings a Ke.

Thank you for helping me understand when to switch from S.C. to H.C. ect.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth
      Participant

Hi Amy!

Please disregard my first statement about the song. I guess I most be tired. Gabriel’s score is correct.

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.