Let’s Introduce Ourselves

Trisagion School Forums Typikon 101 – Term 1 Winter 2022 Let’s Introduce Ourselves

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Peter George
      Keymaster

Hi Everyone,

I’m so glad you’re taking Typikon 101. Since this class will be taking place mostly asynchronously, I’d like us to use the forum to introduce ourselves.

Tell us your name, where you’re from, what parish you attend and what experience you have with chanting. Then, name something you’d like to learn during the course.

I’ll start! My name is Peter George, I live in Hanson, Massachusetts and I go to St. Mark of Ephesus in Westwood. I have been chanting at my parish since the age of 16, and have served as its lampadarios (leader of the left choir) since 2009. I’m looking forward to learn all about you and learn from you to make this course a meaningful learning experience for everyone.

I’m Joan! I’m a Baptist girl who walked down the aisle with a handsome Greek Orthodox fellow, so I’m here for my edification 🙂 I’ve been trying to figure out why things happen the way they do at St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church in Tampa for under a year. I’ve chanted 3 times and no one (that I know of) was offended. I am hoping to learn more about the rhythm of liturgical life in this course.

Peter George
        Keymaster

Welcome, Joan! I am very happy to have you in the class. Since you are a beginner, some of the information in the course might seem a bit overwhelming, as we will get into the nitty-gritty of the services. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need and don’t be afraid to take a bird’s eye view first before you dive in deeper.

I’m glad you’ve been able to get your feet wet at the chanting stand! We are here to help you, if you have any practical questions about your experience in Tampa.

Carnazzo
      Participant

Hi my Name is Natalia Carnazzo. I attend St. Elias Melkite Church San Jose CA. I was raised in the Orthodox tradition and have heard the hymns of the church growing up. I started chanting when I was 13(I am now 16). Since Covid my sister and I have been head chanters at our church for 2 years. I have a general understanding of services and Typikon but not enough to feel confident. I am really excited to take this class. I love chanting, and studying chant. I look forward to learning more about the Typikon.

Peter George
        Keymaster

Welcome, Natalia! I’m very glad to have you in class. Your experience chanting will definitely help and I hope that you will feel confident in using the Typikon by the end of this course! I’ll also be interested in seeing the differences between Melkite, Antiochian and Greek traditions.

Carnazzo
      Participant

Hello! My name is William Carnazzo, My father is a Priest at St. Elias Melkite Greek Orthodox Church located in San Jose CA. I serve and sometimes sing in the choir. I am really looking forward to this class tonight.

In Christ,
      William

Peter George
        Keymaster

Welcome, William! Very glad to have you in the class!

Constantine Kokenes
      Participant

I am Constantine Kokenes, Atlanta Georgia, though I chant since COVID in Athens, GA at the GOA parish of St Philothea of Athens.

Chanter of approximately 40 years. In the old days we chanted only in Greek and had to use all of the various service books to put together a service. Our main guide from the early 80’s until AGES came out was the Reader’s Manual (Εγκόλπιον του Αναγνώστου) and an abridged typikon published by Nektarios Panagopoulos.

I have been tasked to chant exclusively in English these last 10 years and using only the AGES translations so I have become quite lazy and just link to AGES for any service. Typikon was never my strong point and I am very rusty after 10 years away from putting together services.

Taking the course to brush up on what I may have known a long time ago and forgotten and also to learn a whole lot of new stuff I never knew to begin with!

Peter George
        Keymaster

Welcome, Dr. Constantine. It is a great pleasure and honor to have you in this class. For those who might not know. Dr. Constantine has sung with the famous Romeiko Ensemble and Capella Romana and appears on various disks of theirs. I am hoping that this class can help you and we are also looking forward to learning from the breadth and depth of your personal experience serving at the analogion!

My name is Ziad. I am Antiochian but I chant in a Romanian Orthodox Church in Montreal Canada. I have taught myself byzantine but only got so far. I was then guided by an experienced byzantine chanter.

I have been chanting for about 8 years as the person accompanying the main chanter as I am always trying to gain more confidence to lead a service. There is a lot to know (the pitch, the notes, synchronization with the priest, the typikon,…). So I am looking to strengthen the area involving the structure of the service.

Looking forward for the course.

Peter George
        Keymaster

Welcome Ziad. I am very happy to have you in class. I’m hoping we can help you become a more independent leader at the chanting stand. I’m also interested to see what differences there might be between the Romanian Typikon and the Antiochian/Greek Typika.

Carnazzo
      Participant

Hello my name is Agatha Carnazzo.
      I am a member of St. Elias Melkite Church in California. I have been attending a Melkite Church my whole life (I am 14). I recently started helping at the Chant Stand a couple years ago with the start of Covid. My sister and I now lead the Chant Stand I am looking forward to furthering my education and understanding of the Typicon in this class.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 23 hours ago by Carnazzo.
        Peter George
        Keymaster

Hi Agatha! I’m so happy to have you in class. It’s very exciting that you’re leading the chant stand. Hopefully this class can help you in that endeavor!

Wayne Parr
      Participant

Hi. My name is Wayne. I currently live in Memphis, TN and attend St. John Antiochian church. I have previously spent ~10 years at Ss. Peter & Paul in Potomac, MD and St. Ignatius in Franklin, TN. I started chanting 14 years ago at a missing in Northern VA out of necessity based on my experience at the Antiochian Village. Over the years my knowledge and experience has grown tremendously as I’ve chanted with many others more experienced than myself. More recently I have been focused on my Byz notation learning as I have no formal training. This class seemed like another great opportunity to expand my knowledge because I have to chant weekday Vespers without the liturgical guide from the archdiocese.

Peter George
        Keymaster

Welcome, Wayne! I’m glad that we have your many years of experience to draw on in the class. Please feel free to add to anything you think might be helpful for those who are really beginners at the chant stand.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.