Trisagion School Forums ByzB 103: T1 2021 Announcements (please subscribe)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Amy HoggAmy Hogg
      Keymaster

This is the thread where I will post announcements about the course. Click subscribe in the upper right corner so that the announcements in this thread come to your inbox.

If you have a question regarding an announcement, post it in one of the Q & A threads. Any student comments to this thread will be deleted.

Amy HoggAmy Hogg
      Keymaster

It was great seeing many of you in class on Tuesday! Tonight we’ll practice saying the scale on parallagi more and practice the siren.

I’ve added more weekly Online Practice Sessions to our calendar. Here’s the list:

Tuesdays

7:30 – 8 pm
      8 – 8:30 pm

Thursdays

2 – 2:30 pm
      7:30 – 8 pm
      8 – 8:30 pm
      9:30 – 10 pm

I will send out Google calendar invites today.

Remember, if you want to comment or have an question about an announcement, please post it in another thread.

Amy HoggAmy Hogg
      Keymaster

Hello everyone,
      I was so encouraged to hear you all chant during our practice session on Tuesday night. I can tell that you are working hard and I’m so excited to see your continued growth! I look forward to possibly seeing you this afternoon or later this evening.

I added the recordings of the 4th Mode Sticheraric hymn that was missing to the first lesson of our class. We are studying the rhythms for the two 4th Mode Sticheraric hymns in Weeks 3 & 4 and will then study the hymns on parallagi and melos in Week 5 & 6. You can start listening to them ahead of time if you would like.

Also, I added a lesson to Week 3 this morning. It could have gone in Week 4 but Week 4 already had more than Week 3. The lesson is on strategies to develop the ability to hold a stable ison note. If you don’t want to work on this skill right now that is fine (because you’re too busy studying other content or because you don’t chant ison). I wanted to include the information because it’s a good intro to the new app that we’re going to use to help us work on tuning. Please read through the lesson this week or next week.

I hope that you are having a great week!
      ~Amy

Amy HoggAmy Hogg
      Keymaster

Please hold off on the Name that Tone Lesson until Wednesday. I’ve realized I need to reframe the goal of the lesson and change the presentation of the content a bit. Recognizing a mode in general is a hard task and I’ve realized that I have better and more helpful goals for the content. I hope to finish the changes to the lesson today and tomorrow.

Amy HoggAmy Hogg
      Keymaster

It’s hard to believe that we are almost done with Week 6 of our class this term!

Earlier this week I rewrote the lesson on the Vocal Pitch Monitor App and how to use it to help you practice a Vou attracted to Pa in the Diatonic scale (in Week 5). I also added a lesson to Week 6 explaining the recording portion of your Capstone Project.

This morning I added a lesson to the end of Week 6 that reviews the Fthores symbols. In a sub-lesson of that lesson I added a new scale/fthores chart that I created for you. I removed the tetrachord shading charts and put the fthores right next the the four scales. I think this simpler handout will be easier for you to read and less visually overwhelming. If you don’t have time to do this lesson this week, do it at the beginning of Week 7 as it’s a good review before we study the Soft Chromatic fthores in Week 7.

I look forward to seeing many of you in practice sessions today. Have a great week!
      ~Amy

Amy HoggAmy Hogg
      Keymaster

Hello!
      I wanted to let you know that this afternoon I completed the Read Along lessons on the 2nd Mode Lord I Have Cried and Let My Prayer hymns in Week 7. I would have liked to have them done sooner but I ran out of time on Friday and needed a break on the weekend. Sorry! I had thought I might do videos to go along with these lessons but it took me almost 8 hours to write them between yesterday and today and I’m out of steam. I might go back and add videos with the explanations if you guys are having trouble understanding the written explanations. So, please let me know how the lessons go for you on Thursday (as most of you won’t have time to look at the lessons before our sessions tonight).

I hope you had a good weekend and I’m looking forward to seeing you at practices this week. It is 48 and sunny here in Pittsburgh. 🙂 Such a relief after all the snow and cold weather.

~Amy

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.