103 Brag Board

Trisagion School Forums ByzB 103: T1 2021 103 Brag Board

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

After you have subscribed to the Announcements thread, tell us something you accomplished in the last course (or afterwards) that you feel good about.

Amy Hogg
      Keymaster

I finished giving feedback on all the 102 capstone projects that were submitted by the New Year! I didn’t finish the 101 capstone project feedback until after 102 so I feel great about starting 103 with that work behind me. BTW, I enjoyed listening to your recordings and reading your reflections. You all worked so hard in 102!

Andrea
      Participant

I feel good about being able to read heirmologic hymns in 4 different modes! 102 had a lot of information and we’ve come a long way since 101.

Also I just found this and wanted to share it:
      https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/anatomy-of-the-larynx-a00bc73a303c46248db6a13a88b23404
      Since it’s in 3D and you can move the diagram, it helps me make better sense of the larynx structures (something I am otherwise exceptionally bad at!).

Amy Hogg
        Keymaster

Thanks for sharing the link to the 3D model. It is really helpful. I have some videos I’m hoping to share this time around. Hopefully they will help too!

janineshinn
      Participant

During the Christmas season there was a hymn in a service I chanted that I did not know. I could not find a recording of it and I could not find a Western score. I did find a Byzantine score and I was able to work through it on parallegi, work through the rhythms, and chant the hymn! It was a real life final exam!

Andrea
        Participant

That’s awesome!

Amy Hogg
        Keymaster

Yay! That’s wonderful to hear!

Bev
      Participant

I am able to read and perform basic hymns since Byz 102 so I am very happy about that. I also feel I have much better voice control and am looking forward to Byz 103!

Amy Hogg
        Keymaster

It’s great to hear that you can tell you have better voice control! I look forward to hearing you chant again. 🙂

John Prideaux
      Participant

My parish just recently started having regular Orthros, so I had a lot of hymns thrown at me that I had never heard before. What we’ve studied about learning hymns and about the structure of the tones had allowed me to chant the hymns passably well much more quickly than before the classes started.

Andrew Burns
      Participant

Hymns are starting to get easier to recognize by sight – this has happened twice in the past month when I got thrown into a situation that had little to no prep time. This happened once before I started taking classes and I nearly had a heart attack, but now with two classes in, I barely broke a sweat. This doesn’t mean it was good – it just happened and no ambulances were phoned. 🙂

Not really a brag, but a small accomplishment. For me this course is to learn the theory of Byzantine notation. I cannot read western music, ( everything i have chanted is memorized. Not sure how I did it ) but I can follow notes. With this course I am learning backwards. I already chant services. But, now I am learning how to get myself into another mode memorizing the apichima and other important aspects of chanting. Little struggle, but enjoy this very much 😊

Mel Davenport
      Participant

I didn’t get through a lot of the content for 102, but spent a lot of time over Christmas working on it and am so relieved to have made it through the materials in time for this class. I’m with Chantfrog on learning backwards, so it’s challenging! Was singing with the choir at our old church, but haven’t felt confident enough to chant at our new one yet.

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year! Christ is Born. I enjoyed finishing the last few items I hadn’t covered in depth from 102. The other day a friend of mine who was just tonsured a reader in his church sent me his favorite hymn and asked if I knew it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ-I-VQsvko

Yeah, I think I’ve heard it before 😉

Andrea
        Participant

That is a beautiful recording. I’m so glad you posted it. I just happened to read your thread at the moment I needed to hear it most. 🙂

Elizabeth
      Participant

If I have to boast, then I would say I know how to count and memorized the interval symbols. Although, I know my pitch is terrible and I still need to write the notes down prior to singing.

Andy Susick
      Participant

I’ve been forcing myself to chant “God is the Lord” at Orthros using Byzantine notation and I’m hoping to add the Evlogetaria soon. At first, it was a little scary reading it without Western notation, but the more I do it, the more confident I become.

twshanks
      Participant

In 102, I learned more neumes and became more comfortable chanting on parallagi.

Diana
      Participant

I can’t really think of anything to brag about. Maybe just that I still seem to remember most of the material from 102.

Kenneth Parker
      Participant

I think being able to remember most of the 102 material is an achievement and definitely braggable! Well done, Diana. I suppose my “bragging point” is that I managed to finish 102. While I might not have it all down, I hopefully can continue to build upon the foundations.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.