Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Trisagion School Forums Typikon 101 – Term 1 Winter 2022 Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon? Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

I’d like to start with the framing of the question. I find it interesting that there have been 4 typika of note within the last 10% percent of church history. Wouldn’t any new one just be – another one, and not authoritative in any sense? There is a part of me that thinks – why doesn’t ‘THE’ typikon exist already?

This is not to say that I don’t understand that circumstances change, though I find the idea of bottom-up, so-called democratic change in an episcopal church somewhat odd. “This is what parishes are doing, so let’s write it down -” sounds more like when my lesson plans don’t go quite as expected, not the structure of worship of one, holy, catholic and apostolic church.

Perhaps what’s needed are parallel typika – St. Sabbas for monastic use one, and a synthesis of what already exists for parish use. Is it really possible that none of the existing ones are sufficient? I suppose I really want to understand what must be in a service in order for it to be complete. This lesson makes me feel like Pilate – “What is truth?” I promise not to walk away though 🙂