Reply To: The Ideal Orthros: What does it look like?

Trisagion School Forums Typikon 101 (Term 3: Fall 2021) The Ideal Orthros: What does it look like? Reply To: The Ideal Orthros: What does it look like?

In my opinion, Orthros should take about an hour and a half.

Perhaps each Sunday we would rotate one of the appointed kathismata of the Psalter to read. Reading Psalms in church is such a neat way to “ground” ourselves. It becomes so much more apparent where a lot of the text of our hymns come from. Reading all of the appropriate kathismata every Sunday, I believe, would be too drastic a change from our current practise (at least right away). It would also be a great way to involve more volunteers as readers who do not necessarily chant.

At one point, at our parish when we were still learning how to sing antiphonally, we used to repeat the Orthros antiphons. To me, this lends such a feeling of symmetry and emphasis. (I get this feeling when stichera from the menaion are repeated too– especially in the same language.)

If time permits (because I do believe keeping a regular service within *some* time limit), reading the canon would be another way to involve readers.

Chanting stichologia is another feature I’d include to emphasise Scripture.