Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Trisagion School Forums Typikon 101 (Term 3: Fall 2021) Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon? Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Peter George
Keymaster

With how churches in America do sometimes tend to cut or shorten things without regards to typika, I think we need to think more about why would priests think this is okay to skim past but not that?

This is a huge problem. Often cuts are made arbitrarily and many times they are non-sensical. There should be a ‘hierarchy’ of cuts that should be consistent. It’s one thing to skip a troparion here or there; it’s totally another to skip straight from the Exapostelaria to the Great Doxology. (I also think that Orthros needs to be at least 75 minutes to be done in a way that doesn’t do injury to the service, but I digress.)

I think the coolest thing about the 2006 typika is how it offers “researched-based choices” and I wonder how many people have actually used that feature and how it could help lay parishes.

I love this part of Papagiannis’ “System of the Typikon” and we have used it a few times to address some inconsistencies that are found in Violakis. Even if one consistently follows the “shorter” options in ST, they will know they’re still following the tradition of the Church.