Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Trisagion School Forums Typikon 101 (Term 3: Fall 2021) Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon? Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Peter George
Keymaster

I think we’ll lose too much over time, as far as spiritual content is concerned. It’s surely tempting as a way to get people in the door, but there is a price to that approach.

Indeed. I think we have paid a dear price for prioritizing social events and youth sports over actual prayer in our churches. I know that’s not true everywhere, and probably more true of Greek churches.

The wonderful thing about long services is that no one (except us chanters and the clergy) really has to stay the for the entirety of the service. Whenever we would do vigils (we don’t do them as much any more), some people would come for the Vespers, others for portions of the Orthros, others just for midnight liturgy. Others would come at the beginning and stay the entire 5 – 6 hours. This is why the Church is compared to a hospital sometimes; everyone doesn’t need the same treatment, but each person gets what they need. When we cater only for a certain group (or perceived group), everyone else suffers.