Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Trisagion School Forums Typikon 101 (Term 3: Fall 2021) Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon? Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Peter George
Keymaster

This is not to say that I think we should develop a new Typikon that accommodates the fast-paced and fragmented culture of our modern world. I hope that never happens. I believe that one of the antidotes for our modern sickness is more time in stillness, prayer, and worship. But I do wonder about the need to bend toward modern parishes just a bit, even if just to designate an English translation as the authoritative one and to address the discrepancies between the Old and New Calendar (I know Fr. Papagiannis does this to a certain extent).

Really well said, Erin. Certainly the services of the Orthodox Church offer some much needed treatments to the modern world’s ailments. They do need to be accessible, however, for the people of the modern world. Worship in English is a must in America today.

As regards to Fr. Papagiannis, he has many good solutions for today’s liturgical issues. My hope is that his typikon eventually becomes adopted outside of Greece, but my guess is that the Ecumenical Patriarchate will want to release their own revision of Violakis at some point (When? Who knows.). I think giving people (appropriate) options is the future of liturgics.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Peter George.