Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Trisagion School Forums Typikon 101 (Term 3: Fall 2021) Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon? Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Marissa Hondros
Participant

My opinion is that I think the typikons that we have and use work fine for right now, but as Konstantina above mentioned, it might be a scenario of “not yet”. With how churches in America do sometimes tend to cut or shorten things without regards to typika, I think we need to think more about why would priests think this is okay to skim past but not that? I do believe that instead of trying to develop a typika that matches the hustle and bustle worlds that we now live in, we should further instill the importance of order and typika. I think the coolest thing about the 2006 typika is how it offers “researched-based choices” and I wonder how many people have actually used that feature and how it could help lay parishes.

Because I feel like most changes made to TAS were to serve lay people rather than monastic communities, if any change comes to the typika it will be at the behest of parishes.