Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Trisagion School Forums Typikon 101 (Term 3: Fall 2021) Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon? Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Philip Sells
Participant

My preliminary scattershot thoughts: I tend to agree with Konstantina at this point. I would say, too, that expanding education of the people of the Church in North America applies more broadly to learning what the hymns mean – what their connection is to Scripture, for example. This means that oftentimes, the question of theological education is going to interact with language issues.

For example, if a parish is habituated to singing services mostly in Greek even though there is a large or maybe even majority English-speaking, non-Hellenophone (is that a word?) congregation, what do we do about that so that people can understand what they are singing and hearing? Encouraging people’s relationship to Scripture, to the lives of the saints and so on will therefore overlap with the question of what we should do with the translation issue on the large scale.

Also I agree with Erin’s point that to submit to the modern trend of faster/shorter/etc. in the sense of cutting corners, excessive abbreviation, etc. cannot be the way to go over the long term – I think we’ll lose too much over time, as far as spiritual content is concerned. It’s surely tempting as a way to get people in the door, but there is a price to that approach. Rather, maybe we aim to get people to realize the spiritual value of a somewhat longer format to the services.