Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

Trisagion School Forums Typikon 101 (Term 3: Fall 2021) Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon? Reply To: Week 2 Discussion Topic: Do You Think We Need a New Typikon?

(reposting from my first attempt at taking this course 🙂

I am interested in the fact that the four modern Typika each differ from each other, not because the writer was innovating, rather because he was describing the practices taking place in monasteries and parishes at the time. This highlights for me that, along with the rubrics and rules, the Typikon also reflects some of the culture and history taking place around -and influencing- the ecclesial reality. I love the deep anchor that the Orthodox Church has in Tradition and the way it is saturated with enough beauty and complexity to discover for a lifetime –without the need for innovation, cultural relevance, or “keeping up with the times.” That said, I also find it to be fascinating the way that a “timeless” tradition is actually situated in time, and is therefore shaped by it. This is not to say that I think we should develop a new Typikon that accommodates the fast-paced and fragmented culture of our modern world. I hope that never happens. I believe that one of the antidotes for our modern sickness is more time in stillness, prayer, and worship. But I do wonder about the need to bend toward modern parishes just a bit, even if just to designate an English translation as the authoritative one and to address the discrepancies between the Old and New Calendar (I know Fr. Papagiannis does this to a certain extent). I also like the way The System of the Typika offers research-based choices to help priests and protopsaltis decide on a length of service appropriate for the needs of their parish.